Google has quiet many API services, from Google Sheets, Google Tasks, Vision API, Photos Album, and many more. Since Google has so many API services, sometimes it is hard to track the what APIs are avaiable, what APIs are depreciated, and what is the latest version of an API. Using the Google API Discovery Service API we can quickly pull information of all the avaiable APIs and the earlier version of APIs and as well as all the methods under an API.
In this tutorial I will walk you through how to use the Google API Discovery Service API in Python. Below is the Discovery API summary from Google's info page:
Use the Google API Discovery Service to build client libraries, IDE plugins, and other tools that interact with Google APIs. The Discovery API provides a list of Google APIs and a machine-readable "Discovery Document" for each API. Features of the Discovery API:
- A directory of supported APIs schemas based on JSON Schema.
- A machine-readable "Discovery Document" for each of the supported APIs. Each document contains:
- A list of API methods and available parameters for each method.
- A list of available OAuth 2.0 scopes.
- Inline documentation of methods, parameters, and available parameter values